Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Diane von Furstenburg

Hold my Golden Globes

January 19, 2010
The Golden Globes took place on Sunday and as always there was a mix of the good and the bad and some which I am ambivalent about. Let’s discuss:
Maggie Gyllenhaal in RM by Roland Mouret and I think she looks delightful. A lovely peachy colour on her skin and great structuring and tailoring as we expect of Mouret’s designs. It’s lengthening and so flattering around the torso. It’s like origami all over the front. Great simple hair and make-up.

Next on the list is another highlight, Emily Blunt in Dolce & Gabbana, albeit looking a little bizarre in this picture with the hunched shoulders. The dress is a lovely pink and looks as though it’s been wrapped around her body with a delicate touch. I like the matching bracelets and the loose but not too long hair.

Then to mix it up a little, I’m going to go with a major miss, actually more like a group of misses…the Mad Men girls. I’ve never known them fail en masse, usually one of them keeps the standard high. First Christina Hendricks in Christian Siriano: so not the right colour for her skin tone or hair, which is a mess but not in a good tousled ‘done’ way. The red on her lips doesn’t match either. It just looks like a bridesmaid dress designed on Project Runway…oh wait…!

Then January Jones looking like a rich widow in Lanvin. I put a hair band on to work out or when my hair’s dirty, not for a red carpet. The dress shrouds her body and gives her no form. What part of her body does this dress highlight and flatter? And the bizarre collar is horrible.

And then Elizabeth Moss in Amsale, oh dear, this girl gets it wrong quite regularly on the red carpet and I feel for her but how can a stylist do this?? The hair is all wrong, it’s got to be sharper or ‘done’ or something! It looks as if she’s got no makeup on. The dress makes her look like a 14 year old trying on prom dresses but also it’s really ageing. Which I know is totally contradictory but it so does.

Ok, to right all that wrong, on to a goodie: Olivia Wilde in Gucci and I think it’s one of my favourites.  Although I’m not a fan of the hard make-up and the hair piece for a ponytail I really really love the dress, so I’m covering her head and just admiring the texture, the draping and the simplicity.

Diane Kruger in Christian Lacroix. I’m a bit confused by this, it is a little pink, well ok, really pink, and the white bow seems a tad misplaced. I’m used to her being in modern, fashion-forward clothes and I think this looks a little dated and rather ageing. But I like the swirl around the neckline and if you’ve got Joshua Jackson aka Pacey holding your umbrella, who can complain?!

Glenn Close….please, a round of applause. She looks absolutely amazing. This is how I want to look at 62! It’s so understated and simple and yet she really stands out. Standing ovation all round.

Penelope Cruz in Armani Prive and I so nearly thought it was Sophia Loren. She looks old.  After seeing ‘Nine’ last week in which she looks so sexy throughout, this outfit is a miss. She looks as if she knows she doesn’t look her best. I always think she does red carpet well because she has such class but really, with three different horizontal bands in three different materials, this is neither classic nor fashion-forward.

Kate Hudson in Marchesa. Love the hair, love the make-up but the rest… It’s like a wedding dress with a bird’s nest stuffed in it, but also trying to be modern with the draped corset and horrible white shoes. It just doesn’t seem very Kate Hudson to me (of course, I know her so well). I want something abit more fun and relaxed, maybe next year.

Toni Collette in Elie Saab looking goood. Super flattering swirls around the hips and waist. The hair is maybe a little too much like the colour of the dress, but overall I like it.

This disappoints me….Heidi Klum in Roberto Cavalli. I love Heidi Klum and I hate when she misses on the fashion front. She looks exhausted for one thing, her hair looks neglected, the dress is ageing and needs to be hoiked up (technical term!!). It’s channelling mermaid, an over-worked-didn’t-have-time-to-wash-the-salt-out-of-my-hair mermaid. And the bag looks really cheap too.

Sandra Bullock in Bottega Venetta: I am so pleased she wore a colour and that her hair is up but I think the material looks a little cheap? But then she is in colour and she wore her hair up! Maybe it’s because the dress is a bit see-through or a bit shiny? I dont know, but she did wear colour and her hair up, so who’s to complain?

Jennifer Morrison from House in Luis Antonio. Not really acquainted with this lady but I laughed out loud when I saw the dress so I had to post on it. The dress honestly looks like used tissues  and unravelled toilet paper in a very questionable colour. I really don’t need to say anymore, just gaze upon it and be amused.

And to end on a high, Drew Barrymore in Atelier Versace, looking delightful. Young, fresh ….. I love the visible corset and the beaded curve over one hip and shoulder. It’s got some sparkle to it, it fits her body beautifully, it’s classic and yet sexy. She has a great big cocktail ring and simple styling everywhere else. Love it.

And a quick hats off to Courtney Cox and whoever did her make-up for the the best ‘face’ of the night. She looks amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment